The Gilt Group has again opened a unique sale of original props for charity, this time offering material from Ang Lee’s Life of Pi, which opens in theaters in the United States tomorrow. Per the website retailer, “Lee is donating the proceeds from the props to Orangutan Foundation International (orangutan.org), after having an inspiring experience when he visited the facility while doing research for the movie”. Of the pieces offered is the lifeboat which represents an important part of the film.
Items can be found and purchased at www.gilt.com:
Gilt Groupe previously offered original material from Anton Corbijn’s The American, which benefited the American Red Cross International Response Fund (see “Focus Features and Gilt Groupe Inc Offer Original Props and Costumes from ‘The American’ Starring George Clooney”), as well as Woody Allen’s Midnight in Paris, which benefited the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (see “Gilt Groupe Offers Sale of Authentic Memorabilia from ‘Midnight in Paris’”).
Below is the official press release:
NEW YORK, November 15, 2012 – Gilt.com the innovative online shopping destination, and Twentieth Century Fox Film have collaborated to offer fans a chance to own a piece of cinematic history. On November 19, 2012, starting at noon ET, Gilt HOME will exclusively sell authentic props from Academy Award®-winning director Ang Lee’s highly anticipated film, Life of Pi.With Life of Pi, director Ang Lee creates a groundbreaking movie event about a young man who survives a disaster at sea and is hurtled into an epic journey of adventure and discovery. While cast away, he forms an amazing and unexpected connection with another survivor…a fearsome Bengal tiger. The film takes us through a young man’s incredible adventure – at turns thrilling and spiritual; harrowing and triumphant; humorous and inspirational. Mr. Lee’s vision, coupled with stunning 3D visuals, has turned a novel long thought un-filmable into a thrillingly audacious mix of grand storytelling and powerful and provocative themes.The sale will feature over 37 props from the set including:
- Pi’s 25-foot lifeboat, $40,000: The lifeboat sets the stage for most of the film, as Pi, played by actor Suraj Sjarma, spent a total of 227 days at sea with it.
- “The Making of Life of Pi” Hardcover Book signed by Director Ang Lee, $200: Get the inside story of how renowned Academy Award®-winning director Ang Lee brought the Yann Martel’s international bestseller to life as a 3-D film. The books are signed by Ang Lee himself, and are beautifully illustrated with 275 stunning photographs and illustrations.
- Saris & Jewelry, $400-$1,200: In Pi’s flashbacks, the women are draped in the jewelry and saris in rich vibrant hues from purples and golds to bright reds, magentas, oranges and deep turquoises that are worn by various characters throughout the film.
- Faux Turtle Shell, $3,400: When out at sea, struggling for survival, Pi uses this hollowed out (faux) sea turtle shell offering some sense of civilization to his experience.
- Tiled Stool, $1,200: This intricately tiled stool/table is taken from Pi’s home in India.In addition, Ang Lee has chosen to donate the proceeds from the authentic prop sale to the Orangutan Foundation International, after his inspirational experience visiting the facility while doing research for the film, Life of Pi (http://www.orangutan.org/).
To become a member of Gilt.com and access these special sales, please log onto www.gilt.com/lifeofpi***About GiltGilt, www.gilt.com, is an innovative online shopping destination offering its members special access to the most inspiring merchandise, culinary offerings, and experiences every day, many at insider prices. Gilt continually searches the world for the most coveted brands and products, including fashion for women, men, and children; home decor; artisanal ingredients; hotels and travel experiences on every continent; and unique activities in a growing list of cities and destinations. We believe that every day is an opportunity to inspire and be inspired.About Fox Filmed EntertainmentOne of the world’s largest producers and distributors of motion pictures, Fox Filmed Entertainment produces, acquires and distributes motion pictures throughout the world. These motion pictures are produced or acquired by the following units of FFE: Twentieth Century Fox, Fox 2000 Pictures, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Fox International Productions, and Twentieth Century Fox Animation.